Communication has always been an important part of my professional life, but my understanding of what it means has changed significantly over the past few years. During my previous role in higher education administration in Sri Lanka, I viewed communication primarily as providing information, answering questions, and helping students solve academic and administrative problems. Since beginning my master’s degree in Learning Design and Technologies at Arizona State University, I have come to realize that communication is much more than sharing information. It is about understanding learners, building trust, designing meaningful experiences, and ensuring every learner feels included. This shift in perspective has encouraged me to reflect on both my strengths and the areas where I still have room to grow as I prepare for a career in learning design.
My Communication Strength: Active Listening
Of the four communication areas, active listening is the one I feel most confident in. During my years working in higher education administration, I interacted daily with students, faculty members, and colleagues from different departments. Many of these conversations involved students who were confused, frustrated, or anxious about academic requirements or university procedures. Early in my career, I believed my responsibility was to provide answers as quickly as possible. However, I soon realized that effective communication begins with understanding the person’s situation before offering a solution.
One experience that has stayed with me involved assisting students during course registration. Several students visited the office feeling overwhelmed because they thought they would not be able to register for required courses before the deadline. Instead of immediately explaining policies, I listened carefully to each student’s concerns, asked questions to understand their specific circumstances, and explored possible solutions with them. In many cases, students left feeling more confident simply because they felt heard and understood. Looking back, I realize that active listening was not just helping me solve problems more effectively, it was helping me build trust and empathy.
This experience continues to influence how I approach communication today. As I transition into learning design, I recognize that active listening extends beyond conversations. Learning designers must understand the needs of learners, instructors, subject matter experts, and other stakeholders before creating instructional solutions. Effective design begins by listening, observing, and understanding rather than making assumptions. I believe this learner-centered mindset aligns closely with the values of empathy and humility emphasized through Principled Innovation. It reminds me that good design starts with understanding people, not simply delivering content.
One experience that has stayed with me involved assisting students during course registration. Several students visited the office feeling overwhelmed because they thought they would not be able to register for required courses before the deadline. Instead of immediately explaining policies, I listened carefully to each student’s concerns, asked questions to understand their specific circumstances, and explored possible solutions with them. In many cases, students left feeling more confident simply because they felt heard and understood. Looking back, I realize that active listening was not just helping me solve problems more effectively, it was helping me build trust and empathy.
This experience continues to influence how I approach communication today. As I transition into learning design, I recognize that active listening extends beyond conversations. Learning designers must understand the needs of learners, instructors, subject matter experts, and other stakeholders before creating instructional solutions. Effective design begins by listening, observing, and understanding rather than making assumptions. I believe this learner-centered mindset aligns closely with the values of empathy and humility emphasized through Principled Innovation. It reminds me that good design starts with understanding people, not simply delivering content.
My Growth Area: Visual Storytelling
While active listening has been a strength throughout my career, visual storytelling is the communication skill I most want to strengthen during this course. Before entering the Learning Design and Technologies program, most of my communication relied on conversations, emails, reports, and written documents. I rarely considered how visual elements could shape understanding or improve the learner experience.
My perspective began to change as I completed projects throughout this program, particularly while creating my accessible Google Sites learning module. Designing infographics, diagrams, icons, and instructional videos challenged me to think differently about communication. Initially, I focused mainly on making my pages visually appealing. However, through instructor feedback and accessibility activities, I realized that effective visuals are not simply decorative. They help organize information, reduce cognitive load, guide learners through content, and improve accessibility for people with different learning needs.
This realization changed how I think about instructional design. I now understand that learners often process visual information before they begin reading text. If visuals are confusing or inaccessible, learning becomes more difficult regardless of how accurate the written content may be. Although I have become more confident creating visual materials, I still find it challenging to choose appropriate layouts, create visual hierarchy, and ensure that every design decision supports learning rather than distracting from it. Developing these skills is important because learning designers communicate not only through words but also through the experiences they create.
My perspective began to change as I completed projects throughout this program, particularly while creating my accessible Google Sites learning module. Designing infographics, diagrams, icons, and instructional videos challenged me to think differently about communication. Initially, I focused mainly on making my pages visually appealing. However, through instructor feedback and accessibility activities, I realized that effective visuals are not simply decorative. They help organize information, reduce cognitive load, guide learners through content, and improve accessibility for people with different learning needs.
This realization changed how I think about instructional design. I now understand that learners often process visual information before they begin reading text. If visuals are confusing or inaccessible, learning becomes more difficult regardless of how accurate the written content may be. Although I have become more confident creating visual materials, I still find it challenging to choose appropriate layouts, create visual hierarchy, and ensure that every design decision supports learning rather than distracting from it. Developing these skills is important because learning designers communicate not only through words but also through the experiences they create.
My Action Plan for Growth
To strengthen my visual storytelling skills during this course, I have identified three specific goals.
First, I will continue using tools such as Google Sites, Canva, and Adobe Express to intentionally practice visual communication in every project. Rather than relying primarily on text, I want to challenge myself to communicate ideas through diagrams, icons, infographics, and other visual elements whenever they can improve learner understanding.
Second, I will actively seek feedback from instructors and classmates during peer reviews, paying particular attention to how effectively my visuals communicate information. Receiving constructive feedback will help me recognize design choices that I may overlook and improve the clarity and accessibility of my instructional materials.
Finally, I will intentionally apply the accessibility and learner-centered design principles that I am learning throughout LDT 503. As I continue building instructional materials, I want to evaluate not only whether they look visually appealing but also whether they are inclusive, accessible, and easy for diverse learners to understand. By consistently practicing these skills throughout the course, I hope visual storytelling will become a natural part of my design process rather than an afterthought.
Reflecting on my communication habits has helped me recognize how much my professional identity is evolving. My previous career taught me the importance of patience, empathy, and listening carefully before responding. Those experiences shaped how I work with people and continue to influence how I approach collaboration today.
As I prepare for a career in learning design, I see communication in a broader way. It is no longer only about responding to questions or explaining information. It is about intentionally designing learning experiences that anticipate learners’ needs, remove barriers to understanding, and create environments where every learner feels supported. Communication has become a design tool rather than simply a professional skill.
I also recognize that becoming an effective learning designer requires continuous learning and humility. Every assignment, peer review, and instructor comment has helped me see my work from a learner’s perspective rather than my own. That mindset encourages me to remain open to feedback and continually improve my designs. I want my communication style to reflect the values that are important to me, empathy, honesty, inclusion, and respect, while helping learners feel confident and engaged throughout their learning journey.
Looking back, I can see that my communication journey reflects the same transition I am making professionally, from supporting students administratively to intentionally designing learning experiences that empower them. Although I still have much to learn, each project and every opportunity to receive feedback brings me closer to becoming the kind of learning designer I aspire to be: someone who communicates with empathy, designs with purpose, and keeps learners at the center of every decision.
Comments
Post a Comment